1. The work we do
The Animal Rescue Organisations main aim of work is centered on providing veterinary care for impoverished people’s animals. The hospital has a clinic daily situated at our headquarters in Ottery as well as 3 Mobile Clinics which travel into the poorest informal settlement and township environments daily providing essential veterinary services such as collection for sterilisation, dip, deworming, vaccinating and other veterinary treatment.
In August 2012 the ARO launched MASU (Mobile Animal Sterilisation Unit) It is the first of its’ kind in the Western Cape, and enables ARO to travel to far-reaching indigent communities (within 300km radius to Cape Town) where no veterinary services are available. This unit differs from existing mobile clinics in that it enables ARO veterinary staff to carry out sterilisations as well as primary health care services. The unit has all the necessary veterinary facilities for sterilisation, including an operating table, hot water geyser, a refrigerator and medicine storage facilities.
2. The animals we treat
Its not just dogs and cats that come into our care. We deal with horses, livestock, rabbits and guinea pigs – the Animal Rescue Organisation will provide the best possible care to any animal that comes through our doors.
We treat a number of animals per day and last year over 20 000 animals benefited from our care.
3. Where do we get our main source of income
As a non-profit organisation ARO relies solely on the generosity of the public and our fundraising events for financial support. It is through you – our friends, donors and members that we are able to continue the work we do and for that we are truly grateful.
4. How the public can help
There are many different ways to get involved and support the Animal Rescue Organisation – from monetary donations, gifts in kind and volunteering your time and expertise, to attending and supporting our fundraising events.
Whether you choose to get involved or help from a distance – the animals in our care are truly grateful. Here are a few ways to become involved and support ARO:
- Volunteer – assist us during events, provide help within our admin and fundraising department or donate an expertise
- Become a member – join our membership programme and receive our quarterly newsletter and other interesting news and upcoming events
- Make a monthly contribution – sign up with a debit order
- Donate gifts in kind – we are always grateful for pet food and blankets for our hospital. Also donate any unwanted bric – a – brac, furniture, clothing, tools and other saleable items for our charity shops
- Visit our online shop at www.animalrescue.org.za
- Support our charity shops and monthly markets – Bergvliet Charity Shop, Kalk Bay Shop, Bellville Charity Shop as well as our Rondebosch Market and Riverside Market held monthly
- Attend our events – visit our website to find out what our upcoming events are and how you can support them.
- My School – apply for a My School card and make ARO your beneficiary https://www.myschool.co.za/supporter/apply/?beneficiary=6937
- SMS PAW to 48716 – donated R10 towards the work we do